Who we are
Welcome to the East Midlands West Maths Hub, led by George Spencer Academy, Nottinghamshire.
The geographical area we aim to cover is the East Midlands, focusing mainly on Nottinghamshire, Nottingham City, Derbyshire and Derby City.
Among our key, strategic partners are the following:
- Cotgrave Candleby Lane Teaching School Alliance
- Derby Teaching School Alliance
- Transform Teaching School Alliance
- Trent Valley Teaching School Alliance
- Nottingham Trent University
- University of Nottingham
- Derbyshire Local Authority
- FMSP East Midlands Branch
- Lincolnshire Teaching School Alliance
We have a range of courses and events planned for the year in the various areas listed below. We always like to hear from you - the members of the maths education community in our area.
What we are doing
Our focus areas in the first year:
‘Every Child a Mathematician’
Our vision is to transform maths education in our region so that all our children are excited about and committed to becoming mathematicians; contributing to their own, as well as regional and national prosperity. We will support our learning community (parents, pupils, teachers, support professionals, leaders) to make this a sustainable reality.
A main focus this year is the mastery pedagogy for Primary mathematics. We will be using the England-China research project, and ideas from Singapore alongside the excellent work already going on in our schools. Another priority is to increase participation beyond 16, particularly in Core Maths and Further Maths. We will also be rolling out the KS3 Multiplicative reasoning project, piloted last year, and will be working with secondary teachers on the new curriculum.
How to contact us
- Hub Maths Lead - Tom Isherwood
- Hub Maths Lead - Elizabeth Attwood
- Hub Senior Lead - Mary-Alice Lloyd
- Maths Hub Administrator - Claire Lloyd
If you would like your email address added to our list, so you can receive updates about our work, click the button below, and complete the short form.Join our mailing list