At the heart of the national Teaching for Mastery programme is a growing school-based cadre of experienced primary teachers who are becoming experts in the mix of classroom approaches consistent with pupils mastering maths. These are the Mastery Specialists developed through the Maths Hubs programme. The first cohort, of 140 (four in each Maths Hub) are each now leading colleagues in six local schools in a year-long project (we call this a Work Group) designed to help those schools to introduce mastery approaches in maths lessons themselves.
At the same time a second cohort of 140 has begun a development year, consisting of three two-day residential workshops, with gap-tasks and plenty of experience-sharing and networking in between.
Bespoke attended one of these regional workshops to get a flavour of what they’re doing and talk to some of the participants
- Rebecca Serginson, Loughton School, Milton Keynes. Enigma Maths Hub
- Jonathan Davies, Windmill School, Oxford. Enigma Maths Hubs
- Kerry Bateman, Sturton by Stow Primary School, Lincolnshire. East Midlands East Maths Hub
- Cat Stone, Castle Academy, Northampton. Enigma Maths Hub
- Holly Coull, Sherrier CE Primary School, Lutterworth. East Midlands South Maths Hub